Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

of Water and Water Media

7-Day Blogging Challenge, day 3.  I failed.  A post did not get completed in time to post last night.   That's okay though, because the important thing is, it got me writing again.

A Gathering of Gulls on Oregon's Coast
It is fascinating when a small pebble of an idea, once it is set into motion, develops legs and grows.  I'm getting more comfortable with the colored pencils, graphite, and watercolor pencils obtained for plein aire sketching.  Discoveries along the way have been rewarding, as I learn to mix it up, layer, and experiment.  This image is a result of the ongoing learning, and was produced in studio from photographs taken during a recent trip to Oregon's coast.

Ideas have a way of growing legs though, and now as I wish I had produced this while in Oregon, or at least collected sea water while there, I need to take the idea and try it out locally to see how feasible it might be.

Imagine if when producing the plein aire sketches, paintings and illustrations created in the west highlands and islands, I use a bit of water from local sources in the depiction of places and subject matter, and did so with focused intention and identify it as such.  Examples would be Liathach painted with water from the burn that tumbles down that mountain's side or from Loch Torridon if painted from a distance; Eilean Donan castle at dusk, sketched and painted with water from Loch Duich; other locations from the rivers Ness and Clyde, or depending on the scene and the location, a bit of collected rain water.

The idea has me stewing on all sorts of possibilities.

First things first though, I need to experiment with this locally here in the Pacific Northwest, just to determine if this is something I could do.  How will sea water affect a watercolor painting?  I'm eager to find out.  Roll on Spring, there is a list of things I'd love to try!

1 comment:

Sandra Haynes said...

The mixed media experiment is looking really good. They will make fine illustrations for your book, I believe.
I'm looking forward to your trip!